Sunday, June 13, 2021 Edit This
For me the purpose of life has always seemed to be bring happiness to other people. That’s why we do good deeds. And I guess you could say well what about ones own happiness? But I think it makes me happy to make others proud/grateful/appreciative/content. Maybe that’s a risky way to gain my own happiness, but I don’t think that’s the only way by any means. That’s why I do my job. I’m not saying I went in to medicine for the traditional reasons of making people feel better - definitely not. But I did go into it to make other people happy - the idea pleased my parents, my extended family, my teachers. And though I didn’t enjoy patient contact throughout medical school that’s definitely why I like the job now. It gives me a sense of purpose. And honestly when I’m not working I do feel very pointless. I feel like trying to bring people happiness starts with the people you love the most. But what do you do when things that make you happy make those you love unhappy. Or making two people you love happy is incompatible. What then? Is there any purpose? What is my life worth?
