Thursday, August 11, 2016 Edit This
A convoluted story about how the world is really REALLY small if you're a TCK international school kid:
One day in Dundee library, a friend, A, introduced me to her friend B. B was Russian but had lived all over the place. B told me I looked exactly like her best friend C, who was Egyptian who she met while.... idk somewhere. B and I discussed where we were from and where we had been and cultures and languages we'd picked up on the way and firmly established we were international kindred spirits. B then told me a really close friend of hers in Dundee was from the city I grew up in, Jeddah, and did I know him? (Shockingly, I did not.) She wanted to introduce us but alas, I was moving away for a year the next day.
While away for the year, I took some French classes, to try and revive my IB French (with little success). My first friend amongst my classmates was D, a girl who ALSO studied medicine and ALSO happened to have moved for a year.
Flashforward to a few weeks back. My tumblr medic friend, E, of some 4 years sent me a message to say she was coming up to the wild norths with her roommate and would I be free to meet up at last. When we met up, I took along my Dundee bezzie F, and she's brought along her roomie G. While we were chatting over pies, we discovered that G was really good friends with D, my French class friend!
Flashforward to now. G liked a post of mine on facebook (as did A, B, E and F) and B noticed this. Next thing I know I get a message from B saying she'd been at school with G in Newcastle for a while, and how did I know her? Subsequently B and I caught up and she now lives in Monaco.
(This all reminds me of the time I saw a photo of my Colombian friend from camp in Canada and my Belgian MUN friend who lived in Dubai that I met in Jordan with their arms around each other at the beach in Panama.)
(Oh and also of the time that I met a pair of Sudanese twins in Jordan on MUN - yes, along with Belgian girl - and then they went to university in the states with a Lebanese boy that was in my class from when I was 8 to 16, and then they turned out to be pals with my Malaysian "little sister" from boarding school in Sevenoaks having met her at MUN in Singapore.)
Anyway I'm basically boasting that I don't need 6 degrees of separation or whatever, 3 is probably good enough.
