This Time for Africa!: IV. Lilongwe

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Edit This

Arrived with Maryam and Rachael. It was about a 3 hour flight from Joberg. Flight was a little late and our lift had left. Got a taxi to the hostel which has two massive Rhodesian Ridgebacks. It was a bit of a shithole I felt, although maybe that was just me adjusting to being out with the lap of luxury.    
We went into town to get money out and such and it was about Maghreb time on the way there. By the way back it was pitch black and there were no street lights and no real sidewalk for the roads. In fact the roadside was very jagged and you could easily stumble into potholes etc. We managed to get a bit lost on the way back, forgetting how far up the road our hostel was. Rachael was becoming a bit anxious she later admitted and I was worrying Mom and Bob would be proved right or that I'd end up having to hugely disobey them to hang with this crew. It worked out okay in the end and we arrived to find the boys awaiting us. However we also discovered there was no more dinner, and almost slipped in the mud face first. I wasn't especially enthused. It was also a really hot night and I barely slept. 

Woke the next morning, showered and our rental car arrived (and got upgraded to a four wheel drive). Us five piled into the car with Rachael driving, stopped at the supermarket and were on our way to Cape Maclear. It was a beautiful drive there although it rained. Eventually made it although we took an accidental detour to Monkey Bay as well. 

Stools - uninspiring (Type 3/4)