This Time for Africa!: V. Cape Maclear
Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Edit This
The day we arrived scoped out what there was to do from the guy that ran the place, the Funky Cichlid. We also spent forever dodging people trying to sell us wooden carved keychains. Sat on the beach for a bit watching kids play volleyball. Eventually decided to stroll up the beach, which was hard work on my ankles tbh. Then went for a fish curry at a restaurant further along the beach (a really good dinner) and ONCE AGAIN managed to forget where our hostel was in the dark. (Turned out this time it was because of a power cut, so our hostel wasn't lit at all).
We had intended to have a very early morning and a hike. But as we got into bed there was a comical moment when in the dark Andrew I think asked where the hike was or what it was called, and we all realised we had no idea where we were going. It was another really warm night and in fact I slept in my underpants. We all woke up pretty early and went back to sleep I think. Eventually emerged and showered. Rachael and I sat in hammocks for a while. We had a good breakfast and then went kayaking to Thumbi island on the south of Lake Malawi. This was fun and reminded me of outdoor ed. We parked out kayaks on the beach and then swam to the rocks. I was able to take my phone with me, risking it with my waterproof case which proved worth the 400 rand I paid for it. The cichlids were very bright and beautiful, but I still think outdoor ed Red Sea snorkelling was more stunning. One of the snorkels we got given (that initially I had ended up with but snuck a different one when I could) was amazing. Sean had it the majority of the time. He looked a bit ridiculous but it was definitely the most functional snorkel. You could breathe naturally and not inhale lots of water. Kayaked back and then chilled on the beach for a bit. Played cards and got food eventually as well.
At around sunset we decided to take a walk to otters point but somehow ended up adopting 4 kids (trying to get us to sponsor their football team) and two large mangy dogs (who thought we were taking them for a walk). This all escalated when we got to the rocks and couldn't shake the kids or dogs and also couldn't see a very pleasant view (though Marz and I didn't venture far due to dogs obstructing the path). Things got even worse when one of the dogs ran into the bushes and returned with an almost dead cat in its mouth, delivering it to Sean and Rachael (who both like dogs but had lost their patience with these ones). It was very traumatic and pretty horrible. Somehow managed to shake kids and dogs and get back for a really nice Kampango grilled fish dinner. We then played what Rachael called 20 questions but was actually her asking me really random "this or that" type questions. There were more than 20 and I was the only one answering but it was entertaining. We were all in bed by 21:37 aaaand up before 7 as a result. It was a nice hostel and a nice wee room.
Started our drive back to Lilongwe at around 10 after much faff trying to figure out how to pay the hostel when none of the card machines were working due to a power cut. I was reluctant to use up my dollars but didn't have quite enough kwacha. Sean had no money at all. It was a bit of a mess, but I was certainly sorry to leave.
Stools - generally uninspiring (3-4) but loose on the last day (5-6)








